Zinc Plating of Steel Fittings for a Hydraulic Hose Application
A customer from the automotive/agriculture industry approached Elm Plating Company to apply a protective corrosion-resistant coating to steel fittings that are used within hydraulic hoses in a variety of applications. The high-volume applications required a 0.07-0.19 coefficient-of-friction and had to also assure the ability of the component parts to achieve corrosion performance after crimping the parts onto the hose. The solution we derived from several DOE trials was to apply a 0.0002"-0.0004" zinc trivalent clear chromate with an integrated lubricant in an improved barrel rotation cycle. The process proved capable and repeatable in regards to the COF, corrosion resistance and plating thickness requirements of our customer’s supplied specifications and testing standards. After proving the process out on several different families of fittings, our customer approved us as their primary plating source for all of their applications.
For more information on this project or other examples of our high quality workmanship, please contact Elm Plating.
Zinc Plating Project Highlights
- Project Name
- Steel Fittings
- Product Description
- These zinc plated fittings are used within hydraulic hose applications.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Zinc Plating
- Zinc Tri Clear Seal
- Equipment Used to Plate Part
- Automated Barrel Zinc Electrodeposit Line
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Coating Thickness: .0002"-.0004" mils
Hex Width: .688"
- Tightest Tolerances
- COF 0.07-0.19
- Material Used
- Material Finish
- Trivalent Clear Chromate + Integrated Lubricant Seal
- In process testing performed
- Salt-Spray Testing
- Tested for 96 hours to white corrosion
- Tested for 360 hours to red rust
- Industry for Use
- High Volume, Multi-Part
- Standards Met
- Customer supplied specifications
ASTM B117-09-Salt Spray Testing
- Delivery Location